Write Original Chants: In-Person Intensive
August 16-20, 2023 in Boulder, CO
Launch or deepen your home chant practice with instruction on HOW TO write original chants. Receive professional feedback on your chants. And, perform your original chants with a professional Kirtan band & audience (provided for you) in a real live Kirtan event!Get Details
Learn to Write and Sing Your Own Unique Chants!
Learn the Art and Science of Chant Writing with KLI Founder, Mike Cohen! Take your sacred chant practice to the next level by learning to sing your own unique song of devotion. Mike's proven systematic methodology for chant writing has helped dozens of students write original chants and more than twenty students write and record their own chants. Join us for this 5-day in person intensive & bring to life the chants that live deep in your heart!
Write Your Own Heart Opening Chants
Learn how to write your own chants by exploring essential teachings on chords, chord progressions, constructing melodies, rhythm, how to source lyrics... and much more. Our team of professional Kirtan artists will guide and inspire you to bring your inner expression to life!
Lead Your Original Chants with a LIVE BAND!
Evolve your chant writing skills by workshopping, rehearsing and performing your original chants with a professional Kirtan band (drummer, response singers, cellist & sound system) in a live Kirtan event. Don't miss this "once in a lifetime" intimate learning experience!
Workshop Your Original Chants
Receive real-time feedback from professional Kirtan recording artists on your brand new and/or existing original chants. This guidance will raise your chant writing skills to the next level, allowing you to reach your full potential as a Kirtan leader and sacred chant artist!
In-Person Kirtan Intensive
August 16-20 | Boulder, CO
5-Day In-Person Intensive designed for participants who:
- Have completed a minimum of one Kirtan Leader Institute Level 1 training, two Level 2’s and two Level 2.5's through online courses or private sessions.
- Are excited to learn how to write original Kirtan chants or evolve their current chant writing practice with essential teachings, real time support & feedback.
- Are ready to develop and demonstrate the leadership skills required to share Kirtan publicly leading a professional Kirtan band & audience through an original chants in a Kirtan event.
Wednesday, August 16 from 5-8pm MDT
Thursday, August 17 from 10am-6pm MDT
Friday, August 18 from 10am-6pm MDT
Saturday, August 19 from 11am-3pm MDT + 7pm Kirtan Leader Showcase
Sunday, August 20 from 10am-1pm MDT
8353 Thunderhead Drive, Boulder, CO 80302 (Home of your instructor Mike Cohen)
The intensive will be held outside on our back patio with an epic mountainside view of Boulder or inside our spacious home. When practicing indoors, we will keep doors and windows open for increased ventilation for our time together.
Plan Your Trip:
- Food: Not provided, other than coffee, water and snacks. We have lots of fridge and pantry space where you can store groceries. A list of healthy restaurants and grocery stores will be provided in the welcome email.
- Housing: Very limited housing (1 room) available on site. Other housing can be found by searching zip code 80302 on Airbnb.com or VRBO.com. Good places to rent are in N. Boulder (10 minutes away) or Lyons (10 minutes away). Longmont (20 minutes), downtown Boulder (15 minutes) and South Boulder (25 minutes) could also work.
- Flights: Fly into Denver International Airport (DIA).
- Ground transportation: From DIA you can rent a car, meet up and travel with other participants, or take a bus to Boulder. Details will be shared in the welcome email.
- Coordinating with others: All registered participants will be added to a Facebook group where they can coordinate travel, housing, food, etc with others. Details will be shared in the welcome email.
- Directions: will be shared in the welcome email.
Click HERE for our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
Join us August 16-20 in beautiful Boulder, CO.
Your Intensive Guides & Teachers:
Your Host: Mike Cohen
Mike Cohen, MA is founder of Kirtan Leader Institute. Since 2010 he has trained and apprenticed thousands of aspiring and emerging Kirtan Leaders across the globe, from total beginners to dozens he has guided to create/release Kirtan albums, play at festivals and tour nationally.
A life-long musician with two decades experience developing and coaching leaders, Mike has created a curriculum that supports total newbies in quickly and easily learning to play chants from their favorite Kirtan artists (like Krishna Das and Snatam Kaur) without needing to understand or learn Western or Indian Classical music (Sargam). Training for advanced students expands beyond Musicianship into important domains such as Psycho-Spiritual Leadership, Community Building, Entrepreneurship, Chant Writing, Working with Spiritual Bypassing and more.
Voice Instructor: Dawnia Dresser
Dawnia is a Boulder, CO based Anusara inspired yoga teacher and lifelong vocalist/musician. During her 19 years in Los Angeles, CA Dawnia co-created three albums of original folk-rock music and contributed extensively on albums and movies as a vocalist and voiceover artist. Dawnia created a 3-song EP with renowned Kirtan producer Ben Leinbach (Jai Uttal, Deva Premal) to create From the Soul, an EP of soul-infused mantra music. A graduate of Colorado State University with a degree in music and vocal performance, Dawnia serves as faculty in the Boulder, CO based Kirtan Leader Institute. Her warm heart, clear and caring teaching style and soulful voice have led her to become a beloved member of the Kirtan community in CO and beyond.
Rhythm Guide: Ken Matarazzo
Ken Matarazzo is a Boulder, CO based percussionist and teacher who has studied and performed on frame drums and afro cuban percussion since the mid 90’s. Some of his teachers include master drummers Glen Velez, Layne Redmond, John Amira and Jamey Haddad. Ken has collaborated with diverse artists, such as Jerry Joseph, Layne Redmond, Jim Matus and most recently Kirtan Leader Mike Cohen. Ken currently serves as faculty in the Boulder, CO based Kirtan Leader Institute and plays in The Shakti Groove.
What People Are Saying:
Mike's methodology was so helpful in arranging the chant I shared at Kirtan Fest Milwaukee. The structure he helped me build is great - it really helped my chant be a meaningful and positive experience for the group.
- Jay Coldwell, Owner of 5 Koshas Yoga & Wellness, Kirtan Leader,
Mike is a powerful and grounded leader who really has a knack for meeting people where they are both musically and as a leadership coach. He quickly narrows in on what people need in order to advance their skills in both areas. The combination of leadership and musical development in the same program was truly a unique opportunity to study ALL aspects of what goes into being a Kirtan leader.
- Samantha Keller, Bodyworker, Yoga Instructor, Kirtan Leader
I never thought I would one day write my OWN Kirtan chant! This intensive was a dream come true. Mike has mastered the skill of supporting Kirtan artists in reaching their full potential. Thank you Mike!
- Aveen Banich M.D, CO Springs, CO