Level 1 Kirtan Training
Launch Your Home Chant Practice
This training is perfect for you, even if...
- You have never played an instrument before
- You believe that you don’t have a “beautiful” singing voice
- You played music long ago and struggled to become proficient on your own
- You’ve tried to learn Kirtan elsewhere, but it just didn’t click
- You don't know how to read or understand Western Music (and don't want to be required to do so)
- Indian Classical Music and/or Sargam goes way over your head
Learn Your First Sacred Chants!
Level 1 Training Details:
In this foundational training program, Mike shares our easy-to-use methodology you so you can launch your own home chant practice. Learn seven exquisite chants while building a strong understanding for how to engage in the art of Kirtan.
What You’ll Receive:
- Repertoire of seven beautiful chants to practice at home, or even share with others
- Knowledge of how to play basic harmonium chords while chanting songs/mantras you love
- Connection with a vibrant community of kindred spirits
- Basic conceptual understanding of Kirtan and music
- Energetic understanding of mantras and deities
- Inspiring stories from Mike's 20 years experience with the practice of Kirtan
- A way to build an intimate relationship with Source
- A structure for creating and nurturing your daily chant practice
- A way to connect your voice to your heart and deepen your personal path of devotion
- Fun and inspiration from stepping into this amazing practice!
Learn the Art of Sacred Chant through our Proven and User-Friendly Method
Join an Upcoming Level 1 Training
Level 1 Online
Learning Kirtan online can be fun and easy when done with proper support. Our online training structure ensures a hands-on, comprehensive learning experience for all students through high-quality and easy-to-understand lessons, as well as ample amounts of clear guidance and helpful resources.
Here's how our online classes work
- The module opens
- You work with the chant sheet and teaching videos
- We convene at the end of the week for an optional Zoom call to review and practice the chant
If you can't make the Zoom call, you can access a recording of it (and all of the course materials) in the course 24/7 for at least a year. This means you can take the course in real time as it rolls out, or you can customize this program to meet your unique needs and timeframe.
Online Learning Modalities:
- Detailed chant sheets for seven different songs including links to listen to the songs, written melody notes and guidance on exactly which fingers and notes to use to play the chords
- Multidimensional Kirtan Instruction: two instructional videos each week will outline the meaning of the song, show chant breakdowns and demonstrations, and lead you in guided practice
- Optional weekly Zoom calls to connect, review, practice, and explore questions with Mike and your peers
- Private/hidden Facebook group to build community within your training cohort
- Assigned buddies and dedicated time to practice together during weekly Zoom calls to provide support and encouragement
- Virtual voice training with KLI instructor Dawnia DresserView Trainings
Level 1 Live Intensives
Level 1 Kirtan group training intensives are for everyone! This two-day live training program (held in Boulder, CO) is perfect for beginning Sacred Chant fans who want to learn how to launch their home chant practice with a group of kindred spirits. No harmonium? No worries. We can rent you one for the duration of the program.
What You’ll Receive:
- Eleven hours of hands-on training and instruction with Mike Cohen, a vocal instructor and a percussion instructor
- Detailed chant sheets for the seven chants we learn during the intensive
- Rhythm workshop with a professional percussion instructor
- Vocal workshop with professional voice instructor, Dawnia Dresserd
- Free admission to the Kirtan leader potluck and jam session
- Free admission to Mike Cohen + The Shakti Groove concert
- Lunch for the duration of your stay
- Community of devoted Kirtan leaders and our warm, caring KLI staff
- Did you know we have a limited number of very affordable onsite guest rooms at Nyland Co-Housing, where the training is held?Join the Waitlist
Students Singing Our Praises
"The Kirtan Level 1 class was such a fun, accessible way to learn a new style of music! Mike's teaching style makes it incredibly accessible for even non-musicians to progress. The repertoire is diverse, soul-inspiring, and beautiful, and Mike does a great job at helping students understand the meaning of the mantras. I feel so blessed to have learned a new skill so quickly. The charts are super easy to follow, and there are great tips sprinkled throughout the course on how to advance in small, very doable increments. Mike does a wonderful job at creating community with each class he teaches. He builds connection, genuinely cares about the well-being of his students, and is an incredibly patient and talented teacher and musician! I cannot wait to take another class!"
— Bria Scheker
"I absolutely loved this course! Mike's teaching style is fantastic. He made learning each chant fun and easy to follow, even for those who have no musical background. His experience, knowledge and personality added so much more depth to the experience. The optional weekly live zoom sessions, which were recorded if unable to attend, were an added bonus. Thank you Mike!"
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the prerequisites for Level 1?
What if I have extensive musical or Kirtan training already?
Enter your email address for more information, or to email Mike directly